Decadent Breakfast Recipe: Caramel-Cinnamon Apple Waffles
When it’s prime apple season this is the perfect recipe to utilize all those Granny Smiths. With soft and tender apples, this breakfast is a comforting and warm way to start the day. We love waffles and pancakes equally, so if you don’t have a waffle iron or just prefer to make pancakes, go ahead and do that instead — you can’t go wrong on this one!
Cinnamon Apple Waffles
- 3 apples, peeled and cubed; 2 tart, 1 sweet
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½cups almond milk (or regular)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup almonds, garnish
- Whipped cream, garnish
- In a large, hot skillet, melt butter and add apples, stirring occasionally. After a few minutes, add cinnamon and brown sugar, reduce heat and cover to let soften completely (4-5 minutes). Once softened, remove cover to let caramelize, then take apples off heat.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until fluffy and sift in dry ingredients; then add milk and oil. Mix well, just be careful to not overmix.
- Add in half or all of cinnamon-apple mixture (depending on whether you want some for garnish). Fold in well. If batter appears too thick, add more milk.
- Spray waffle iron with non-stick spray and pour in 1/2 cup of batter. Cook according to waffle iron instructions, or until golden brown.
Recipe adapted fromMr. BreakfastSKM: below-content placeholder