This burrito is packed full of tasty, vegan-friendly protein and crunchy vegetables for a delicious lunch on the go.
This burrito is packed full of tasty, vegan-friendly protein and crunchy vegetables for a delicious lunch on the go. As flexible as they are tasty, burritos make it easy to take a basic recipe and swap out ingredients as you see fit to create the perfect customized meal to suit your tastes. Jazz up your vegan burritos to wow your dinner guests by adding colorful veggies that elevate your dish with visual interest. Add extra spice by upping the amount of chilis, or by substituting jalapenos or hot cherry peppers instead. Make your burrito more filling by adding non-dairy cheese as a topping.
Vegan Bean Burritos
Serves 4; 40min
- 1 can black beans
- 1/2 diced yellow onion
- 2 ounces red chiles
- 1 tablespoon fresh crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 chopped red onion
- 1 chopped red bell pepper
- 1 sliced cucumber
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- Combine black beans, diced yellow onion, red chilis and fresh crushed garlic in a skillet.
- Cook mixture over medium heat until vegetables and beans are lightly browned.
- Crush mixture using a flat wooden spoon until it resembles refried beans.
- Add cilantro and lime juice, and stir briefly to combine.
- Toast whole wheat tortillas in a separate skillet over low heat until golden brown.
- Spread bean mixture over tortillas.
- Assemble red onion, red bell pepper and sliced cucumber over bean mixture, or substitute your favorite vegetables.
- Serve with vegan cheese or other desired toppings.
Recipe adapted from Veg Kitchen