This is the definition of satisfying comfort food and it’s super easy to whip up.
Nothing calms the winter chills like a bowl of creamy tomato soup. A hearty tomato base and rich cream makes takes a simple tomato soup and turns it something extraordinary. This delightful dish is perfect for lunch or dinner. We like to serve it with a gooey and delicious grilled cheese sandwich for a filling mid-day meal, or with a side salad and warm crusty bread for a simple yet satisfying dinner.
There’s no better way to fill our bellies with warmth and goodness than with this classic soup, jazzed up with some herbs and cream. We love to add a dash of red pepper flake for some spicy heat and a little kick of flavor on our tongues. Our family absolutely loves this creamy, herby, rich tomato-y soup; it’s the definition of satisfying comfort food and it’s super easy to whip up.
Creamy Tomato Soup
Serves 4-6 servings
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped thyme, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- to taste cracked black pepper
- optional red pepper flakes
- In large pot, sauté onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in butter at medium-high heat for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Whisk in tomato paste and flour until paste forms.
- Stir in roasted red peppers and tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes start to break down, then add chicken stock. Lower heat, and and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cream, half of thyme, and parsley.
- Once soup is warmed through, ladle into bowls. Serve garnished with remaining thyme, cracked black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Recipe adapted from Girl Gone Gourmet