Golden sautéed onions and cheddar cheese baked to gooey melty perfection is just the soul-warming comfort food we’re looking for.
A savory cheese tart, with golden sautéed onions and cheddar cheese topped with a flaky pastry crust, then baked to gooey melty perfection is just the soul-warming comfort food we’re looking for. This scrumptious cheese and onion pie is one of our family favorites, perfect for fall or winter nights when we want something rich and warm for dinner.
Get the kids involved with this recipe; have them grate the cheese or roll out the puff pastry dough. We love how this recipe uses simple ingredients to create a picture-worthy display, the perfect combination of golden puffed pastry and a comforting filling that everyone loves. Wedges of this delicious pie are just the thing to make a bowl of soup a full meal, and it comes together so fast, we even bake it on busy weeknights. Give it a try! Our family asks for it again and again.
Savory Cheese Pie
Serves 6 - 8
- 2 pieces puff pastry
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. Add chopped onions and cook, stirring often, until translucent and golden. Transfer onions to a bowl to cool, 5 minutes.
- Add cheese, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce to onions, and stir gently to combine.
- Add 2 eggs, lightly beaten, to onion mixture along with salt and pepper. Stir to blend thoroughly.
- Cut a circle with a 9-inch diameter out of each piece of puff pastry (use a pie plate as a guide). Place one puff pastry circle on prepared baking sheet.
- Spread onion mixture evenly over puff pastry on baking sheet leaving a 1-inch border. Brush a little cold water along exposed edge of puff pastry. Top with second round of puff pastry, and press firmly to seal the two sheets together.
- Beat third egg in a separate dish and brush over top of puff pastry. Cut a decorative slit in center of top crust to help vent steam. Bake in center of preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Allow pastry to rest for 10 minutes before slicing to serve.
Recipe adapted from Genius Kitchen