This dish proves that sometimes simplicity is the way to go.
Indulgence is spelled P-O-T-A-T-O and C-H-E-E-S-E, and this casserole has both. It’s super creamy and oh-so-decadent, with flavors of sour cream and cream of mushroom soup that wrap the potatoes in all kinds of goodness. And let’s not forget the cheese! A generous sprinkling of crispy fried onions get golden and toasty in the oven and offer the right amount of crunch to the creamy potato mixture underneath.
This childhood favorite is one we love serving to our own kids. It’s a heart-warming, classic dish perfect for Sunday dinners, or one that we can whip up for a comforting weeknight meal. Balance out the richness of the dish with a side of fresh veggies, or pair it with a side salad. Regardless, this dish proves that sometimes simplicity is the way to go.
Crunchy Potato Casserole
Serves 8-10 servings; 60 minutes
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (10 oz) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place chopped potatoes in large pot, and fill with water. Bring water to a boil, and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Drain. Transfer boiled potatoes to casserole dish and set aside
- Heat olive oil in small skillet over medium. Sauté onions until soft, about 4 minutes. Spoon onions over potatoes.
- In a medium bowl, combine soup, sour cream, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Pour soup mixture over potatoes, and top with crispy fried onions. Bake 30-40 minutes.
Recipe adapted from The NY Melrose Family