We recreated a classic cheeseburger experience with a twist.
We switched up our basic burger recipe last night and tried something a bit healthier and a whole lot tastier. We recreated a classic cheeseburger experience with a twist: ground chicken paired with sautéed mushrooms, onion, and garlic to form flavorful patties, and then they’re topped with tomato and cheese and baked to gooey perfection.
Our family thinks these patties taste better than burgers, and they don’t need buns or extra condiments! This recipe’s definitely a new favorite in our house. These cheesy tomato-topped chicken burgers are easy to make and incredibly satisfying, and they’re a delicious way to sneak in some extra veggies.
Cheesy Chicken Burgers With Tomatoes And Mushrooms
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Warm olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté chopped mushrooms for 3 minutes. Add onion and garlic. Cook 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Combine ground chicken, breadcrumbs and egg with cooled veggie mixture in large bowl. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Mix ingredients until well incorporated. Form into 6 patties.
- Brown patties over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Top each patty with a tomato slice and cheese. Bake in preheated oven 10 to 15 minutes until cheese is melted and tomatoes begin to blister.
Recipe adapted from Pocket Change Gourmet