You won’t believe how tender and crispy this fried chicken recipe turns out!
We love a good fried chicken recipe, especially the crispy coating and the tender meat inside. And while deep frying is the tried-and-true method for making this classic meal, it’s a difficult one to pull off well and then there’s the oil to clean up. So, when we want something that is a little less hands on and a little lighter, then we turn to our oven to do all the crisping. With the right batter and seasonings, we can replicate that fried chicken experience without the deep frier.
We’re not abandoning our beloved fried chicken, but we can’t deny how good this oven baked version is…crispy and tender is about as good as it gets when it comes to fried chicken. The secret to creating that tender meat is to marinate the chicken in buttermilk. Not only does the buttermilk provide a good adhesive for the coating, it also has acids that help to tenderize the meat. Another important part of preparing the chicken is to season the coating. You don’t need too much, a little garlic powder and paprika will give the coating a nice flavor. Once all the layers are seasoned and applied, the chicken bakes, the coating browns and crisps, and the chicken itself is roasted to a delicious tenderness.
Out of the oven comes a respectable rival to traditional fried chicken. Not only is it lighter than a usual oil-fried recipe, but there’s way less to clean up, and that is always a plus when we’re trying to get a meal on the table during the week. These warm and crispy strips are seasoned to perfection, and the tender meat inside is droolworthy. Serve up whatever dipping sauces strike your fancy, a marinara or honey mustard are the usual go-tos in our house. We love a good fried chicken recipe, but when we’re interested in something a little bit lighter, this oven-fried recipe definitely satisfies our hungry bunch!
Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 3 strips each
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, garnish
- Marinate chicken strips in buttermilk for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread melted butter evenly to baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- In a shallow dish, mix flour, Panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Remove chicken from buttermilk marinade, shaking off any excess liquid. Dip chicken into coating mixture then place onto buttered baking sheet, evenly spreading out pieces of chicken.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, then flip and bake for another 10-12 minutes. Add more time as needed for crispier chicken.
- Serve warm with a side of preferred dipping sauce.
Recipe adapted from Cakes Cottage