Whether you’ve got Thanksgiving leftovers or you’re just hankering for the flavors of the season, this creative chili recipe is just what the doctor ordered. A perfect blend of turkey and pumpkin along with a few other traditional chili ingredients (black beans, diced tomatoes, onion & pepper), it’s the perfect way to spice up an ordinary dish.
Best of all, you can indulge in this protein-rich chili without overstuffing on calories. Keep reading for this amazing recipe…
Turkey and Pumpkin Chili Recipe
(makes 10 servings)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (red or yellow would be ideal)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cubed avocado and thinly sliced green onions, optional for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and peppers to the skillet, cooking and stirring them until soft. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Transfer to a five-quart slow cooker and stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook, covered, on low for four to five hours. If youíd like, top your bowl of chili with freshly cubed avocado and sliced green onions.
Recipe adapted from Taste of HomeSKM: below-content placeholder