This is my go-to keto soup when I want something warm and deliciously filling.
This is my go-to keto soup when I want something warm and deliciously filling, but don’t want to do much work. It’s so wonderfully rich that it doesn’t take much to feel full and satisfied. Just a small bowl, paired with a side salad or other keto-friendly dish, is usually all it takes. But this doesn’t have to be just a keto meal. This creamy keto taco soup is for everyone. Just be warned, it is calorie-dense.
I prefer to use a cast iron dutch oven when making this soup (or any soup, really), but any pot, slow cooker, or even Instant Pot will work. I prefer the cast iron version because I can easily transport it to my wood stove to keep warm once I’m done cooking. I don’t think you’re supposed to do that with an Instant Pot. Using a cast iron dutch oven is also great because I can cook everything in it and not dirty up different pots and pans.
I start by cooking the onion and green peppers in the dutch oven on medium with a bit of olive oil. Once the diced onion is almost translucent add the beef and stir together. Let those cook for a bit until the beef browns. It doesn’t need to cook all the way yet. At this point add the tomatoes, cheese and cream cheese. I do it this way because it takes a bit longer for the cheese and cream cheese to meltdown. Once melted, add the rest of the ingredients, stirring until properly mixed, then put the lid on and wait. That’s about it.
Like I mentioned before, this soup is very dense. It’s about 50% fat and one serving contains about 600 calories. By itself that is not fully keto, but it is very low carb, and you can always add more cheese or avocados to get that fat content up. Enjoy!
Creamy Keto Taco Soup
20m prep time
30m cook time
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or preferred oil)
- ½ medium yellow or white onion diced
- 2 small green peppers, diced
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 oz) package cream cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz grated marble cheese
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 cubes beef bouillon or consommé
- 1 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (14.5) oz can beef broth (1.5 cups)
- Add oil to dutch oven and heat on medium.
- Once heated, add diced onions and peppers. Stir all ingredients making sure to properly coat with oil.
- Add ground beef and stir with onions and peppers.
- Add tomatoes, cheese, and cream cheese. Stir until melted.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring until everything is mixed.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Gimmie Delicious.