Our hearty and rich Italian sausage and potato soup is a rustic and satisfying meal.
Most folks will call this season fall, but we call it Soup Season! We just love when the air turns crisp, the leaves start to fall, and our recipes reflect this change in the weather. Soups and stews are meals we love to make, especially now, and we’ve got some great soup plans for the fall and winter. One soup we anticipate making rather often is our creamy Italian sausage and potato soup. It’s beyond delicious with all kinds of great ingredients, but mainly meat and potatoes in a rich and creamy broth. We can’t think of a better way to warm up on a brisk autumn day than with a bowl of this soup to warm up our cold hands.
We’ve got mild Italian sausage, which is a great way to bring flavor into a dish without overwhelming kids with too much heat; but if you want heat, add a teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Russet potatoes add some density while fresh kale adds a nice pop of color and freshness. To make the soup a little richer, we’ve added heavy cream and boy does it make all the difference. A little bit of parmesan cheese and some fresh cracked black pepper at the end is all the adornment this soup needs. It finishes beautifully and is even better served the next day for lunch or as leftovers for dinner.
Soup season is our favorite time of year. We get to pull out of our recipe box some of our favorite soups and stews to help ward off the cold and the wetness. With recipes like this creamy Italian sausage and potato soup, we will stay warm and well fed. A meal like this is rustic, simply made but dynamic in flavor and oh-so-satisfying. All we need now is a chunk of some warm crusty bread to help us scoop every last bit of this delicious soup from our bowls.
Creamy Italian Sausage and Potato Soup
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, diced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 3 cups chopped kale or spinach
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for garnish
- Brown and crumble Italian sausage in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon and drain excess drippings from pot.
- Return sausage to pot and add potatoes, chicken stock, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove ½ of potatoes from pot. In a separate bowl, mash potatoes then return them to the pot. Stir in kale or spinach leaves, heavy cream, and more salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until kale is tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- To serve, garnish with shredded parmesan cheese, freshly cracked black pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Recipe adapted from Miss In The Kitchen.