This rich, hearty soup is perfect for cold winter nights!
This rich and creamy soup is sure to become a staple in your dinner rotation! With just the right amount of spices, veggies, and sour cream to round it all out, you’re going to love this hearty meal. It’s the perfect dish to warm you up on those chilly autumn and winter nights.
Don’t let the ingredient list intimidate you; this is truly an easy meal to make on those hectic nights. The most prep work you need to do is simply cutting up veggies. Even better, you can make this creamy chicken tortilla soup ahead of time and store it in the freezer. It will keep for about three months. All you have to do when you’re ready to eat this soup is stick it in a pot and heat it up over the stove.
Once you’ve sautéd the onions, bell pepper, and garlic, it’s just a matter of tossing the rest of the ingredients in the pot and letting them simmer. As you can see, it makes for quite a colorful soup thanks to the veggies.
After letting the soup simmer for about twenty minutes, stir in lime juice and sour cream to complete this creamy, filling, delicious dish. For even more flavor, add additional lime wedges, avocado, red onion, cilantro, Monterey Jack cheese, and more sour cream. Of course, you can pick and choose your favorite toppings depending on what you and your family enjoy.
Go ahead and check out this easy recipe and let us know if it hit the spot!
Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 chicken breasts or 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (10 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 6 cups chicken broth
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For serving:
- Sour cream
- Lime wedges
- Avocado, sliced
- Red onion, chopped
- Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Once hot, add onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until starting to soften, 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Add tomato paste, fire roasted tomatoes, black beans, and chicken broth. If using chicken breasts, add here.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and simmer 20 minutes, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken, shred with two forks, and return to pot. (If using pre-cooked chicken, add here.)
- Reduce heat to low, stir in lime juice and sour cream until combined.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in tortilla strips and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from The Cozy Cook.