Why is the rum gone!?! Well it’s been used to make some delicious desserts!
Rum balls make for a fantastic holiday party treat, and don’t require much more work than combining the ingredients and shaping them. They have a rich, cocoa flavor mixed with that slightly sweet burn from the rum. Coat the confection in cocoa powder, sprinkles, confectioners’ sugar, or our favorite: coconut! If you’re worried about whether or not all the rum will evaporate out, be warned there’s a good chance it won’t. So for a non-alcoholic version of this treat, replace the rum with a half cup of orange juice and the zest from one orange. Keep reading below for our favorite rum balls recipe…
Cocoa Rum Balls
- 2 1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 75)
- 1 cup ground pecans
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup rum
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons water
- additional cocoa, sprinkles, confectioners’ sugar, crushed vanilla wafers, or coconut for coating.
- In a large bowl, combine crushed vanilla wafers, nuts, confectioners’ sugar, salt and cocoa.
- Mix in the rum and honey, then shape the dough into 1″ balls and roll in the coating of your choice.
- Store in an airtight container for 2 to three days. Roll again in the coating before serving.
Recipe adapted from Taste of HomeSKM: below-content placeholder