What do you get when you combine stuffing mix, chicken, and zucchini and wrap it all up in a creamy base? One irresistible casserole, that’s what. Our Chicken Zucchini Casserole is one of those dinners that’s super easy to throw together yet always satisfies (and it’s a great use for leftover rotisserie chicken or summer’s squash bounty). It’s comforting and filling, but the zucchini keeps it from feeling too heavy and the savory combination of stuffing seasoning and our from-scratch Cream Soup Substitute is the stuff casserole dreams are made of.
This uses a package of stuffing mix, but that’s the only kitchen shortcut it takes even though it’s still very easy to throw together. See, the sauce portion is our Cream Soup Substitute, which is our quick and easy homemade version of ‘cream of whatever’ soup, and it still turns out the same deliciously creamy end result. If you’re extra pressed for time, you can swap in one 10.75 oz can of creamed condensed soup for the sauce portion, but it’s really no trouble to make it like this, promise.
After making the sauce, you mix it with the stuffing and melted butter, some chopped zucchini, onion, and cooked chicken, and a bit of sour cream. It’s only a few ingredients, but they play very very well together. (And luckily they’re ones you might often have on hand!)
The stuffing gets nice and crispy on top, but in the layers below, it absorbs much of that creamy mixture for a softer chewy bite.
All that is to say it’s an easy casserole with a ton of texture and flavor. I don’t know about you, but that’s the kind of weeknight dinner option I’m always looking for!
Chicken Zucchini Casserole
Serves 6 Prep 10m Cook 40m
- 1 (6 oz) package stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 4 medium zucchini, diced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- First, make the sauce:
- In a small saucepan, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and let cook 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth, then milk, whisking constantly. Let cook until bubbly and thickened, whisking frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, stir together the stuffing mix and melted butter. Remove 1/2 cup of the mixture and set aside for topping.
- Add zucchini, cooked chicken, sauce, onion, and sour cream to the large bowl of stuffing. Stir to combine.
- Spread mixture in prepared baking dish and top with reserved stuffing mixture. Bake until top is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Six Sisters Stuff.