When you’re craving Mexican food, you could opt for the usual tacos or enchiladas or burritos or you could go with something a little more unique, if not totally traditional, like this Chicken Tortilla Stack. Think of it like Mexican food meets pie – it’s full of delicious cheesy, zesty flavor in sliceable form.
This dish is all about layering, but it’s simple to make; the most trouble you’re going to go to is crisping up the tortillas in a pan before you get to stacking. It adds some sturdiness and texture to the final dish, not to mention that a lightly browned tortilla just tastes better!
There are only four components here – the tortillas, plenty of cheese, chicken, and sour cream, but the sour cream is dressed up with taco seasoning and lime juice so it not only adds creaminess, it also adds tons of zesty flavor.
You spread each tortilla with that yummy sour cream mixture and layer it with shredded chicken, and cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses. Repeat until it’s sky-high (or you run out of ingredients) and pop it in the oven. The cheeses melt, the sauce gets hot and bubbly and mingles with the chicken, and the tortillas manage to stay relatively crisp.
Give it a few minutes before you slice it into wedges to keep things from oozing out, top it with your favorite toppings, and dig in. The nice thing about the way this is layered is that every bite reliably gives you every flavor that’s going on here – chewy but crisp flour tortilla, hearty chicken and a zesty creamy sauce, with plenty of ooey-gooey cheese. Yum.
Chicken Tortilla Stack
10m prep time
30m cook time
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 9-inch flour tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups chicken, cooked and finely shredded
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack or mozzarella cheese, grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for serving
- Pico de Gallo, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly coat a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream, taco seasoning, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add a tortilla and cook until crisp and golden brown, 1-2 minutes per side.
- Place a tortilla in the prepared springform pan. Spread 2-3 tablespoons sour cream mixture over it, then top with 1/3 of the chicken, 1/4 of the cheddar, and 1/4 of the Monterey Jack. Repeat layers three times, and top with a final layer of tortilla, sour cream mixture, and cheeses.
- Bake until cheese has melted and stack is heated through, 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Cut into wedges, garnish with salsa, cilantro, sour cream, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious.