We love easy dinners in our house, and this baked chicken parmesan has become a favorite around here!
We love easy dinners in our house, and this baked chicken parmesan has become a summertime favorite around here! Panko, parmesan, and egg whites make for a lighter, healthier twist on an old favorite. Add in a few zucchinis, cherry tomatoes, and a yellow squash, and you’ve got a complete meal packed with veggies for the whole family! This could be served with some couscous and a green salad on the side if you’re looking for a heartier meal, but the chicken and veggies make for a nice light dinner during those dog days of summer.
Baked Chicken Parmesan with Summer Veggies
Serves 4; 1 hour
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, divided
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place veggies and thyme in bottom of baking dish. Drizzle with oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare a breading station for chicken by placing egg whites in one bowl. In a separate bowl, combine bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, paprika, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg whites, then dredge them in breading mix. Transfer breaded chicken to a separate baking dish from the veggies.
- Stir vegetables together, then place both the chicken and vegetable pans in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until breading is golden brown.
- Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese over the veggies 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Spark Recipes