Loaded up with potatoes, chicken, mushrooms and peas, this creamy bake has everything you need to make a complete, delicious meal. While you could toss all your protein and veggies together, and then bake it, roasting the potatoes and mushrooms first gives the dish extra flavor that we can’t get enough of! On top of that is a creamy, cheesy sauce (we could eat it on its own) that, when baked all together, creates a flavorful, filling meal. Macaroni and cheese, pot roast, spaghetti and meatballs…these are comfort food classics, but this meal is just as comforting and yummy as those staples, so get used to it being a part of your dinner rotation!
Chicken Potato Mushroom Bake
50-60 minutes to prepare serves 6
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup assorted mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Place cubed potatoes and mushrooms in a large baking dish and drizzle olive oil over them. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are almost fork tender.
- While veggies are in the oven, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, stir in flour to create a roux.
- Cook, stirring continuously for 2-3 minutes, or until mixture is golden, smooth and paste-like.
- Gradually pour in milk and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until thickened, then stir in cheddar cheese, and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until smooth, then remove from heat.
- Remove baking dish from oven and add chicken to the potatoes and mushrooms. Pour sauce over everything, then spread peas over the mixture.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over everything. Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through.