Homemade mole enchilada flavor, with no rolling required.
I have more than once wondered why everything can’t be covered in mole sauce. I mean, mole is basically the successful integration of chocolate and savory food, so what is there not to love? As far as I’m concerned, it’s the most underrated of the Mexican sauces and it should get far more attention than it does. Mole sauce all the time! The ingredient list for it can be long, and so can the prep time, but this easy enchilada casserole brings it home in a way that works for busy weeknights and special occasions alike.
Here’s the thing about this casserole – it’s easy. You get to have mole enchiladas in your own kitchen in under an hour. There’s no rolling required, just some simple layering. And here’s the other thing – there are only five ingredients. Is that because I’m relying on some storebought jarred mole? Yes. Could you make your own mole? Also, yes. But that jarred stuff does a mighty fine job, so I don’t want to see any eye rolling.
Those five ingredients are corn tortillas, shredded chicken, cheese, the aforementioned jarred mole sauce, and chicken broth. The flavor of the mole mixed with melty, gooey cheese and tender chicken is so satisfying that you don’t need anything else – beans, or peppers, or onions would just be extraneous.
So you lay down your halved tortillas, your chicken, your mole sauce, and your cheese, and repeat and repeat until you have a layered spectacle that comes out of the oven as one unified, comforting casserole. It’s simple, it’s just cheesy enough, but best of all, it’s full of that mole flavor that I’m sure you love just as much as I do.
Chicken Mole Enchilada Casserole
Serves 6 45 minutes
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 12 corn tortillas, halved
- 3 cups Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese, grated
- 1 jar Dona Maria mole
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for serving (optional)
- Red onion, thinly sliced, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add the mole to a medium saucepan over medium heat, and slowly stir in the chicken broth. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Sauce should be smooth.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the mole sauce into the prepared baking dish and line bottom with 8 tortilla halves to cover entire dish.
- Top with 1 cup of the chicken and cover with 3/4 cup of the mole sauce. Top with 3/4 cup of the cheese. Repeat with another layer of tortillas, chicken, mole sauce, and cheese.
- Add one more layer of tortillas, chicken, mole sauce, and cheese. Add a final layer of tortillas and cover evenly with mole sauce. (You may have some sauce leftover.) Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes, until cheese has melted.
- Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with sour cream, red onion, and cilantro, if using. Enjoy!