Okay, we love sweet breakfast and brunch foods as much as the next person – pancakes, waffles and crepes are awesome – but we like to switch things up every now and again with a dish that’s packed full of flavor (and veggies)! In this case, we decided to do a zucchini egg bake that’s, in the best way, sort of like a quiche-pot pie hybrid. Using crescent roll dough, tons of zucchini, eggs and LOADS of herbs, we baked up a delicious, eggy bake that’s so, so good. We made sure to include plenty of cheese, for a little extra “oomph,” but given how much we stuffed in here, it’s really just the icing on top of the cake.
Whether you’re looking for a new brunch dish, or you want something different and yummy for lunch or dinner, this dish has you covered. While we stuck with onion and zucchini as our filling, you could easily use anything you’ve got in your fridge – can you say fridge clean out?! – officially making this an awesome recipe to have on hand whenever you’re not sure how you’re going to repurpose all the random veggies you’ve got in the crisper. With everything you need baked right into, this is a one-and-done meal that everyone will love!
Cheesy Zucchini Bake
45 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 (8 oz.) can refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup (1 small) yellow onion, chopped
- 4 small zucchini, sliced and chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Season 8x8-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Add a layer of crescent rolls to bottom of baking pan.
- In a pan, melt butter. Sauté onions and zucchini until onion is translucent and zucchini is just caramelized. Pour over top of crescent rolls and cool slightly.
- In a bowl whisk eggs with milk, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, mustard and garlic. Add cheese and stir to incorporate.
- Pour egg mixture over top of zucchini. Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until eggs have just set in the middle.
Recipe adapted from Lemon Tree Dwelling