When I think about salads, I typically think about a bowl of watery lettuce drowned in salad dressing and disappointment. If that’s your impression of salads too, let me introduce you to a game-changing salad recipe: the Cheeseburger Salad.
It might sound weird, but really this is like a taco salad. So, you know. It’s heavy on the “cheeseburger” and light on the “salad” part. Hey, I’m not complaining! This cheeseburger in a bowl has all of the flavors you love, all dressed up in a different form. Keep reading to see how easy this delicious meal is to make!
One of the greatest parts of this recipe is the homemade croutons. It’s incredibly easy to get freshly toasted squares of bread, and you’ll find they are way better than the store-bought stuff.
Start out by cutting some sesame buns into cubes. place them on a sheet pan and bake at 350° for a couple of minutes. You can season the bread cubes before placing them in the oven if you want an extra pop of flavor. Garlic salt, paprika, or even a few sprinkles from a ranch packet mix would all be amazing on these little bread cubes!
Next, brown the hamburger and stir in the goodies. Onions, ketchup, mustard, pickles, and salt and pepper all go into the skillet to make a tasty beef mixture that will rival your favorite burger.
Place the beef mixture in a large salad bowl along with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and the croutons. Top with more croutons and your favorite salad dressing. You can also drizzle ketchup and mustard on top if that’s your thing. Go ahead and give this hearty salad a try!
15m prep time
5m cook time
- 4 sesame seed hamburger bun tops, cut into cubes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 cup dill pickles, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 head romaine lettuce, sliced thin
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place hamburger bun cubes on a baking sheet. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes, until toasted.
- Brown the ground beef in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drain off excess fat and stir in half of the onion, ketchup, mustard, pickles, and salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce, beef mixture, tomatoes, cheese, and remaining onion together. Add the toasted hamburger bun croutons.
Recipe adapted from Simply Stacy.