Your favorite pasta dish reincarnated in a (healthy) casserole…
So many times we want to dig into a yummy-looking casserole, but think twice because we know what usually goes into them…calories. With this chicken tetrazzini, you can rest a little easier knowing that we cut corners here and there to make it a little lighter and better for you, without sacrificing on flavor!
This recipe is perfect for a big family dinner or potluck, and since it still tastes great, no one even needs to know that it’s not the calorie-loaded original. With so many other things to worry about in your day, let us help you out with this dinner so you don’t have to stress about it!
Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine (or spaghetti)
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked chicken breast, shredded (3-4 cups)
- 2 (8 oz.) packages sliced mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup low-fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- toasted almonds, optional, garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º F and lightly spray 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil and cook pasta until al dente.
- In a large pan or skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat and swirl pan so that it evenly coats the bottom.
- Add mushrooms to pan and saute until softened. 3-4 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent and garlic fragrant.
- Pour in white wine, reduce heat and let cook until reduced.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour to create a roux.
- Once smooth and a dark, golden color, slowly pour in milk and chicken stock, stirring continuously.
- Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 7 minutes, or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan and cream cheese, salt and pepper, and stir well.
- Carefully pour the sauce into the mushrooms and onions, and add the pasta and shredded chicken. Toss to combine well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish, place in oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cooked through and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, let rest 5 minutes, if desired, garnish with toasted almonds and serve hot.
Recipe adapted from Citron Limette