There’s nothing better than coming home to a warm and bubbly casserole and sitting down to a delicious meal–finally being able to relax after a long day. For those days when you just want to indulge in some comfort food, try this spruced up recipe that has all the flavors you love, plus a few new ones to keep things interesting!
This Mac ‘n’ Cheese casserole is rich and creamy and hits the nail on the head with every bite. To add a little extra nutrition, we threw in some fresh broccoli florets and pine nuts to create some tasty crunch! We promise, despite the somewhat-changed appearance of this meal, your family, kids and adults alike, will go crazy for it and so will you!
Macaroni And Broccoli Casserole
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/3 cup toasted breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook macaroni according to package directions, or until al dente. Add broccoli to the boiling water for the last 3-4 minutes of cooking.
- Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in flour to create a smooth and thick roux, then add garlic and onion powder, garlic salt and pepper.
- While stirring continuously, slowly pour in evaporated milk and heavy cream.
- Bring mixture to a boil and cook until thickened, then remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Pour 1/2 of pasta and broccoli into casserole dish and cover with 1/2 of cheese sauce. Repeat with remaining pasta and sauce, making sure to evenly coat all pasta.
- Top with Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and breadcrumbs, place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and pine nuts toasted.
Optional: make your own breadcrumbs by tearing up 1/3 loaf of crust bread into small pieces. Drizzle with butter, salt and pepper, and place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes, tossing in between, or until evenly toasted.
Recipe adapted from Taste Of HomeSKM: below-content placeholder