Considering how much we love our fur babies and how much joy they bring into our lives, it seems like the least we can do is whip up some easy, healthy treats for them; knowing exactly what they’re eating gives us peace of mind, plus, we love seeing our pups happily devouring these cute treats.
Speaking of which, you can use any cookie cutters you have on hand to make these, but we used this adorable dog bone cookie cutter. We use it all the time for cookies we make for ourselves, but it’s especially cute when we use it for dog treats…and every purchase goes towards food and care for rescue animals – we can’t argue with that! Regardless of what they end up looking like, your dogs will love these treats and you’ll love that you made them.
Pumpkin Carrot Dog Treats
Yield: depends on size of cookie cutters
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 4 tablespoons all-natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 large carrot, grated
- cookie cutter
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and oats together and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl or mixer, beat together pumpkin and peanut butter until smooth, then mix in eggs until fully incorporated.
- Gradually add flour and oats mixture until a shaggy dough comes together, then fold in grated carrot.
- Knead for 1-2 minutes, or until dough is no longer sticky (add a little more flour if dough isn’t sticking to itself), then turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough out to 1/4-inch thickness and use desired cookie cutter to cut out treats.
- Transfer all treats to lined baking sheet and place in oven.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until treats are golden brown and edges begin to pull away from the parchment paper.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before giving to pups.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious