We’ve gotten into the habit recently of putting new and interesting spins on some of our summer favorites, like this Caribbean coleslaw we tried out the other day. It’s clearly very much still rooted in the classic version of this dish, but we think we made it a whole lot more summery and refreshing with the addition of more fresh flavors that bring the recipe to life. Even if it sounds strange to you at first, keep reading to see how we did it – you’ll want to make it ASAP once you see everything we put in there!
You’ll still be using cabbage (with or without carrots) as your base, but then we add in mango and garlic and jalapeño – boom, so much flavor! – with cilantro, Dijon mustard, honey, lime and Caribbean hot sauce, and we’ve got a creamy, jam-packed, summer salad that really kicks things up a notch. It’s possible to swap out just about any ingredient you might not love in this for something else that can still work perfectly; don’t like jalapeños? Add in some green bell pepper. Cilantro taste like soap to you? Ditch it for parsley! We love being able to cater a recipe to fit our families’ or friends’ needs, so do what works for you – it’ll still taste great!
Once you’ve got all your ingredients ready, it’s just a matter of tossing everything together and letting it sit in the fridge for a bit, giving all the flavors a chance to build and develop. It’s a great dish to make a day in advance, and then you can sit back and watch as it gets devoured at the party or potluck you’ve brought it to. Get ready for maximum summer flavor and grab yourself a heaping pile of this tasty tropical coleslaw!
20 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 6 cups cabbage, shredded, or use store-bought mix
- 1 ripe mango, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Caribbean hot sauce
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mustard, honey, lime juice, olive oil and hot sauce until combined.
- In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, mango, jalapeño, carrot, garlic and almonds, then drizzle mustard dressing on top.
- When ready to serve, add green onion and cilantro and toss everything together.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from African Bites