I love bundt cake. This cathedral-like baking mold can turn a simple cake into an elegant masterpiece. One of my favorite bundt cake recipes is for a candied ginger gingerbread cake. I love the flecks of candied ginger that float throughout, and a delightful ginger-spiced vanilla glaze over the top is like the ribbons on those gifts under the tree. A candied gingerbread bundt cake is a gift itself!
The balance of sweetness and warm spice is what makes this cake tick. Ginger on its own has a peppery sweetness that can be both sweet and savory. I’m also adding cardamom, a member of the ginger family, rather than allspice. It’s a subtle change but subtlety is fun when it comes to baking with spices. I’m not done with the spices just yet! Again with that nod to both sweet and spicy, I’m adding candied ginger pieces into the batter. Those chewy sweet-spiced bits aren’t necessary but they do add something special to the cake.
I want a sweet ribbony glaze drizzled over the top of the bundt and a vanilla glaze is very easy to make. Though simple, it makes an essential contribution to the flavor and the finished presentation of my gingerbread cake. I’ve spiked my vanilla glaze with a pinch of ginger to echo the flavors of the cake.
The cake presents beautifully, smells amazing, and tastes – well, I’ll leave that up to you to decide. A candied ginger gingerbread bundt is a festive holiday cake that will fill you and your kitchen with the flavors and smells of the season, giving us comfort and sweet enjoyment.
Candied Ginger Gingerbread Bundt Cake
20m prep time
50m cook time
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup candied ginger, diced
Ginger vanilla glaze
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a bundt pan with cooking spray and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Set aside.
- Use the paddle attachment of the stand mixer to beat the eggs on medium speed until just whipped. Add the brown sugar, melted butter, buttermilk, and molasses. Beat until well combined.
- Slowly add the flour to the wet ingredients, mixing on low to create the bundt batter.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake for 40-50 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the glaze, whisk the powdered sugar with the ground ginger. Add the vanilla extract and stir continuously while slowly adding the milk, until the frosting reaches the desired consistency. Drizzle over top of the bundt.
Recipe adapted from Salt and Baker.