You’d be hard-pressed to find a meal we like better than one that cooks up in just one skillet and is on the dinner table in under 30 minutes. That kind of convenience makes weeknights SO much easier, so when you find a recipe for a one-pan 30-minute meal that’s also outrageously delicious, you’d better cling to it. Or at least make it again and again. And we’re not ashamed to say we’ve done just that with this easy Cajun Chicken and Rice Skillet.
You start by quickly browning some cubed chicken breasts in a hot skillet before moving on to sauteeing bell peppers and onions until they start to soften. Stir in some rice, garlic, tomato paste, and broth, and add the chicken back in. Season it with some Cajun seasoning and let the whole thing simmer for about 20 minutes. And just like that, dinner’s done!
The Cajun seasoning brings in the hot, peppery spice of the Louisiana bayou in a way that only that blend can. Cajun spice blends are easy to find in your grocery store, but it’s an easy mix to make yourself if you’d rather go that route. Mostly made up of black pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, garlic and onion powders, you probably already have all the spices on hand.
We’re all about this quick skillet meals and this one is so flavorful that it tastes like so much more than the easy, convenient meal that it is.
Cajun Chicken Skillet
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, and heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add chicken and cook 2-3 minutes per side until browned. (The chicken doesn’t need to be cooked all the way through.) Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in skillet. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add rice and garlic cook 2 minutes more.
- Stir in tomato paste and broth or water. Bring to a boil. Place chicken over rice and season with Cajun seasoning. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 20-25 minutes. Stir, serve, and enjoy!
Adapted from Life Made Simple.