There’s nothing quite like a bowl of hot soup that has some real substance, especially on a cold day. Broccoli cheese is one of my all time favorites and this take on the classic has gouda instead of cheddar for a rich flavor.
Gouda (pronounced “how-da” in Dutch) is a semi-soft cheese from Holland. When shredded it can look like familiar orange cheddar, but it has a much different flavor. It’s creamier, with a very bouncy texture and a complex, nutty taste. For extra flavor this recipe uses smoked gouda. The difference is amazing and the smoked aspect certainly adds a lot to this soup.
To start with you’ll need to cook your onions and then make a roux with some flour. To add to that smokey flavor this recipe also calls for smoked paprika and it goes in at the roux stage so that the heat can develop the flavor of this tasty spice.
You add half the broccoli at the next step along with some vegetable broth. Then use a metal stick blender to puree it. Or, you can use a blender or food processor.
Then add in the remaining broccoli and cook until it’s nice and tender.
The last step is to garnish with more gouda cheese and then top with some croutons for a bit of crunch. For a filling lunch or dinner this broccoli gouda soup is a really tasty way get your veggies!
Broccoli Gouda Soup
25m prep time
16m cook time
- 2 broccoli crowns
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 cups (32 oz) vegetable broth broth
- 2 cups (3 oz) croutons
- 1 (7 oz) package smoked gouda cheese, shredded, divided
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Cut broccoli into florets and reserve half. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat and add onions. Cook for 5 minutes. Make a well in the center of onions and add garlic, black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook for 30 seconds then stir in flour and paprika.
- Add broth and first half of chopped broccoli to pan. Raise heat to high until boiling then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Use a stick blender, food processor, or upright blender to puree soup, then return to pot.
- Turn heat to medium-low to simmer. Add 1 1/2 cups gouda in a little at a time, stirring often. Stir in remaining broccoli, vinegar, remaining salt, and white pepper.
- Cook for 6-8 minutes or until broccoli is cooked and bright green. Serve with croutons and remaining gouda on top.
Recipe adapted from Parade.