It can be quite a chore to get the kids to eat anything green, but these Broccoli Cheese Nuggets make easy work of it. Every time these hit the table, they’re gone within seconds. (Thanks to kids and grown-ups alike.) Broccoli and cheddar have always been a winning combo and it’s no different in nugget form. These make a great snack for packed lunches, or even a quick side to go along with dinner.
This is an instance where frozen broccoli is totally acceptable. You just need to thaw it then give it a whirl in the food processor. If you don’t have one – or just don’t want to fish it out of the cupboard – you can chop the broccoli finely by hand; that totally works too. And if you want to use fresh broccoli, that’s fine too! Just steam it until it’s very, very tender and carry on with the recipe.
These are quick to throw together: just broccoli, cheese, eggs, and a few spices, but they’re full of flavor. They may be baked, but breadcrumbs still help give them a crispy bite. We love things that taste so good but are secretly pretty healthy!
Broccoli Cheese Nuggets
Serves 4-6; 45 minutes
- 1 (16 oz) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F and grease a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Pulse the thawed broccoli in a food processor into small chunks. (You can also chop it finely by hand, if needed.)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli with breadcrumbs, cheddar cheese, eggs, oregano, onion and garlic powder, and salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Shape into small patties and arrange on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and continue baking until firm and heated through, 10-15 minutes more. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, and enjoy!
Adapted from Sunny Days With My Loves.