We all know how to make beef stew, with stew meat, carrots, onions and broth. But we’ve got a great stew for the meat lover in the family. Traditionally this is made with additional meats, including ribs and sausage, which add great flavor and texture. We’ve chosen to modify the original recipe for the sake of busy weeknight ease. This is a real stick-to-your-ribs kind of dish that requires a little effort in the beginning but becomes a “set it and forget it” recipe once the prep work is completed. We can’t imagine a better way to warm up from the winter chill than with this slow cooker beef stew recipe.
Have we mentioned yet how good this tastes? A-ma-zing! Savory and delicious are just two of the words we’d use to describe this dish, and we love how hearty the stew comes out. We like this to be on the thicker side so we add less broth, but feel free to add more if you prefer a thinner consistency. While it is tempting to eat a big bowl of this on its own, we like to serve ours with a side of white rice and some chopped green onions or parsley for little pop of color and freshness. This meal is the ultimate in comfort food, so scoop yourself a bowl of heartwarming deliciousness!
Brazilian Beef Stew
5 hours, 30 minutes to prepare serves 6-8
- 1 ½ pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 1” cubes
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-4 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- Cook bacon in a skillet, then set aside on a paper towel to drain. Cool bacon slightly then chop into bits and set aside.
- Coat beef cubes with flour, and season with salt and pepper. Then, using the same skillet as for the bacon, sauté pork shoulder cubes until just browned, then transfer to a slow cooker.
- Pour bacon, beans, onion and garlic over meat in the slow cooker.
- Add coriander and white vinegar, then top everything with beef broth, starting with 2 cups then adding more if a thinner stew is desired. Top with bay leaves and cover with slow cooker lid.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and toss. Use two forks to shred the beef and stir to blend thoroughly.
- Optional: serve with a side of cooked white rice.
Recipe adapted from Panning the Globe