I was intrigued by this Bosnian Cheese Pie the moment I heard about it. A swirl of flaky dough stuffed with several cheeses and baked to golden perfection? Sign me up! It is traditionally known as Pita Sirnica and popular throughout Europe, with each region having their own twist. Based on the ingredients alone I knew it was going to be a hit, but wow, it was heavenly.
The recipe I’m sharing is tailored for cooks here in the United States, as some of the traditional ingredients are hard to find. Subbing in cottage cheese for a fresh farm cheese gets you pretty close to the right texture and a little feta bumps up the tanginess. I’ve used store-bought phyllo dough to make the process a whole lot easier, while still achieving a beautiful flaky texture.
I baked my pie in a springform pan and ended up loving the results. It was easy to remove and serve up the perfect slice. If you don’t have a springform on hand, then any pie dish or cake pan will do. Give this savory European treat a try and I’m sure you’ll love it. Happy baking!
Bosnian Cheese Pie
15m prep time
40m cook time
- 1 (16 oz) box phyllo dough, thawed
- 1 (24 oz) tub cottage cheese
- 1 (8 oz) tub sour cream
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ⅔ cup feta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and then add all ingredients, other than the melted butter.
- Unfold the thawed phyllo dough and place two sheets on a clean countertop. Brush top sheet with butter, add two more sheets and brush with butter again.
- Spoon about ½ cup of cheese filling along the base of the sheet and then roll tightly, pinching the ends to seal it.
- Place roll along the edge of the prepared pan and repeat process with the remaining filling.
- Brush the top of the pie with remaining melted butter and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow pie to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from All-thats-jas.com