Submit your family's favorite Thanksgiving side for a chance to win prizes and have your recipe featured! →

When we think about those who are experts when it comes to wild fungus, most country singers wouldn’t be at the top of that list. We especially wouldn’t expect a country singer to know all that much about edible wild fungus. However, Blake Shelton is here to shock all of our readers by putting his incredible knowledge on display.

While on a walk, he found the most amazing lion’s mane mushroom. But he didn’t just stop to admire the fungus, he decided to take it home and eat it!

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

“I’m also a member of the wild mushroom enthusiasts of Oklahoma group,” he shared on a recent episode of The Voice. “I found, collected, fried, and ate a lion’s mane mushroom,” Shelton continued. His famous co-hosts were stunned by the story and their reactions were priceless. Kelly Clarkson, John Legend, and Nick Jonas all seemed to be rather amused by the anecdote. We can’t say that we blame them.

“I can’t believe this is real,” said John Legend in response. Shelton was not done there, either. He showed off a picture of the mushroom that he found on his Twitter account. “Would y’all fry this up and eat it?” he asked his followers.

Photo: Twitter/Blake Shelton

We are on the fence, personally. While we trust Shelton’s judgment, we are unsure about the process of removing mushrooms from the wild and preparing them. You can call us afraid if you want to, we are willing to take that hit. On the other hand, we might change our minds if we had the chance to see the fried mushroom in its final form.

Photo: Wikimedia Commons

While we’d prefer to eat them fried with margarine, these mushrooms are able to be consumed in a variety of ways. You can cook them, eat them raw, dry them out, or even steep them in your tea. Those who like seafood are sure to enjoy them, too, as the taste compares favorably. However, it’s a good idea to get your mushrooms from the grocery store unless you’re a highly-experienced forager. Eating the wrong mushrooms can prove fatal, so stay safe!

Subscribe to 12 Tomatoes