Everyone loves a rich and moist chocolate brownie. There’s something about the dense texture and deep flavors that make brownies an irresistible treat. But, there’s a way to make your brownies even richer and more moist. You’d never guess that the secret ingredient is black beans. Once this is made you can’t taste the black beans, but you certainly will notice how delicious and dense your brownies are!
You start with a can of plain black beans. If the beans have any kind of flavoring then they won’t work for this recipe. Once the beans are drained and rinsed they are ready for the food processor or blender. To make these brownies super smooth you’ll need to make sure the bean paste is free of any lumps.
Once that’s done these brownies are made much like regular brownies. However, these brownies require no flour at all! This is wonderful for people who can’t have wheat or gluten. The bean base also means that people who eat wheat can make brownies even if there’s not a spoonful of flour in the house.
To the blender you add the eggs, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, salt and baking powder and blend until smooth. Then transfer to a mixing bowl and fold in most of the chocolate chips.
After pouring the batter into a 8×8 pan then sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top. It’s so simple to and you’d never guess that these brownies are made with beans.
The next time you want a satisfyingly fudge-y brownie then look no further than black bean brownies.
Black Bean Brownies
Makes 9-12 brownies
10m prep time
25m cook time
Gluten-Free diet suitable
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350˚. Grease an 8x8 baking baking pan.
- Add beans to blender or food processor and blend until beans create a paste.
- Add eggs, sugar, cocoa, vanilla, salt and baking powder and blend until smooth. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
- Fold in 2/3 cup chocolate chips into batter. Pour batter into baking pan and sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.