This beefy, cheesy skillet meal is a little bit like lasagna and cabbage rolls got married. Hearty ground beef and tender cabbage are simmered in juicy tomatoes (giving you all the wonderful flavor of a cabbage roll without all the work) while an ample layer of bubbly melted cheese gives you an ooey-gooey cheese experience that’s reminiscent of lasagna. Just trust us; it works.
Though this goes from stovetop to oven, it all comes together in one pan. It’s the perfect task for your favorite cast iron skillet. We love a quick and easy meal and this one is really a painless dish to cook up. All you do here is saute some onions and brown the ground beef before adding the cabbage and tomatoes and letting them simmer for a bit. It’s a breeze.
While we love a meal that’s easy, it has to taste good too, and this one doesn’t disappoint. The mild earthy flavor of cabbage goes so well with sweet tomato sauce and melty mozzarella. It’s a low carb, quick one pan meal that should be a regular in every family’s weeknight rotation. It does comfort, and it does it well. And quickly.
Beef & Cabbage Skillet Casserole
Serves 4-6; 40 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or more, to taste)
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute more.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Add cabbage, crushed and diced tomatoes, oregano, and salt and pepper and saute until cabbage is wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Top with grated cheese and bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
Adapted from Peace Love and Low Carb.