When temperatures get hot, you’re going to want this to cool you down…
While you may remember banana splits as an ice cream sundae-boat of sorts, topped with whipped cream, nuts, and sprinkles, our version of the dessert classic is a little different….
Without further ado, we give you the banana split icebox cake. This bad boy is packed with the same frosty flavors (thanks to vanilla pudding mix and frozen whipped topping), and full of bananas. We topped everything off with hot fudge, walnuts, sprinkles, and cherries, just as you would the traditional banana split, so the finished result is a cool and delicious cake that brings back all those childhood memories – all while being a breeze to whip up and serve to a group. You might not think anything could ever be better than the real thing, but give this cake a shot; you’ll love it!
Banana Split Icebox Cake
Serves 10-12; 3-4 hours
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (10-12 graham crackers)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, drained well
- 1 (16 oz.) package frozen whipped topping
- 2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk, cold
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 bananas, sliced
- hot fudge sauce (at least 3/4 cup)
- whipped cream
- maraschino cherries
- walnuts, chopped, optional
- In a large bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs and sugar, then drizzle in melted butter. Use your hands or a wooden spoon to mix together.
- Pour crumb mixture into a foil or parchment-lined 9x13-inch baking dish, then use your hands to press it into an even layer, making sure to get into the corners.
- Place in refrigerator and chill until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese and powdered sugar until combined, then mix in vanilla pudding mix, milk and cool whip until fully incorporated.
- Fold in crushed pineapple until combined.
- Pour 1/2 pineapple mixture over graham cracker crust, then top with a layer of sliced bananas. Cover with remaining pineapple mixture, then drizzle generously with hot fudge and walnuts, if using.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or until set.
- Optional: make rows of whipped cream dollops and top with maraschino cherries, then top with sprinkles, serve and enjoy!