Looking for a better breakfast? Something to fill you up with goodness and sustainable energy? Look no further than our super-simple avocado egg bake. What better way to start the day than with a meal that is easy to make and super fulfilling?! Avocado egg bakes are great for those looking for something lower in carbs and are a popular recipe if you are following the Paleo meal plan. We think an avocado egg bake is practically perfect for a weekend brunch without all the usual fuss that goes with making a weekend breakfast. Skip the toast to keep it low-carb, but we can’t resist a side of toast for dipping into our runny eggs.
The whole recipe couldn’t be more simple, just four ingredients: avocados, eggs, salt, and pepper. In order for the eggs to fit, you’ll need to carve out a little extra space in the space where the pit once was; this will ensure that your egg will fit right into the center and bake evenly. This simple meal is a powerhouse when it comes to nutrition: healthy fats from the avocado and easy protein with the egg. Depending on how you prefer your egg, you’ll want to modify the baking time to get just the right consistency. You’ll bake for slightly less time for a softer yolk, and longer for a harder yolk. Once you’ve found the right texture, you’re almost ready to grab a fork and dive in.
Once these come out of the oven, they’re ready for a little garnish and you can stay pretty simple here with some coarse sea salt or kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. We just love topping our avocado egg bake with bacon bits and some fresh chives or green onions, maybe even a little red pepper flakes or hot sauce too. Part of what we love about this dish is the presentation of the egg baked right into the pitted avocado. It’s rustic yet sophisticated at the same time and a blank canvas for any garnish. If eating healthier or just eating well is on your To Do list, then this super simple and delicious avocado and egg bake should definitely be on your morning menu!
Avocado Egg Bake
- 2 large avocados, halved and pit removed
- 4 large eggs
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- ¼ cup chives or green onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Scoop out extra room in the center of the avocado for the egg. Set the avocados into an 8x8 baking dish. If the avocados cannot stay balanced, create a stand with a strip of aluminum foil shaped into an oval.
- Crack one egg into each avocado half. Carefully transfer the baking dish to the oven.
- Bake the eggs and avocados for 15-20 minutes, checking at 17 minutes for desired consistency of the egg yolks, soft, medium, or hard.
- Remove from oven and garnish each avocado with salt, pepper, chopped bacon, and chives. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Downshiftology.