I can’t be the only one who occasionally gets a hankering for something sweet and chocolatey, but not the kind of hankering where you can wait until the next trip to the bakery or grocery store. Do you want to know what the perfect solution is in those moments? This 5-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake. It takes only basic baking ingredients, a little bit of stirring, and just over a minute in the microwave, and produces an irresistibly ooey-gooey fudgy chocolate cake that’s just big enough for one so you don’t have to share it with another living soul.
There are a few companies now that sell microwaveable single-serving cakes but this isn’t something you need to buy at the store! You likely have all the ingredients on hand and it’s so easy to make that a child could do it. (In fact, it’s a pretty great recipe to make with kids. It’s fun and gives you instant results.) You simply find a large mug and gather your ingredients. You don’t want to grease the mug – while the cake will definitely stick, it won’t rise up the sides of the mug if you grease it. And in any case, it’s meant to be more of a molten chocolate lava situation anyway.
You whisk together an egg, some oil, milk, and some sugar in the mug and then mix in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Chocolate chips go in next. It’s pretty much the usual baking suspects but in itty bitty quantities. (Just enough for you and no one else!)
Seventy-five seconds in the microwave and your work is done. The top should look set, but the center should be beautifully fudgy. A little scoop of ice cream or whipped cream is an ideal companion here but I promise you won’t be sad if you have to eat that molten chocolate fudgy cake on its own.
5-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake
3m prep time
2m cook time
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- In a large mug, whisk together oil, sugar, egg yolk, and milk. Do not grease mug - it will stick but cake won't rise if mug is greased.
- Whisk in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Microwave for 75 seconds. Top should look set, but center should be fudge.
- Let cool 1 minute, top with ice cream and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Just So Tasty.