There are some flavors that stay with you forever. For many of us, the taste of peanut butter cookies, with their distinctive criss cross pattern on top, were a familiar childhood treat. My school served them at lunch sometimes. There are many recipes for this type of cookie, but the easiest (and best tasting if you ask me) is the kind that only has 3 ingredients.
This really simple recipe only has peanut butter, sugar, and one egg. If you’d like you can dress these cookies up with chocolate chips like we did, but they are honestly really yummy either way.
After mixing up the batter and dropping the dough balls onto a baking sheet, then comes the fun part of making the traditional peanut butter cookie design with a fork. The ease of this recipe and the fun of decorating makes this a great recipe to make with kids.
If you needed any other reason to make these classic peanut butter cookies then here is one more: they are gluten-free. Plus, these cookies keep really well and have a lovely texture. Talk about a no-brainer recipe!
If you’ve been searching for that perfect peanut butter cookie recipe that makes you nostalgic for childhood then this is definitely the one.
3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies
10m prep time
12m cook time
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350˚.
- Mix together sugar, egg, and peanut butter. If adding chocolate chips fold them in after mixing other ingredients.
- Roll into 1-inch balls or use a small ice cream scoop. Place cookies at least one inch apart on baking sheet.
- Press each cookie flat with a fork, first one direction, then once again the other way to shape and decorate the cookies at the same time.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool before serving.
Recipe adapted from Bare Feet in the Kitchen.