Falafel knows hot to hit the spot: it’s crispy, savory, and with cauliflower, it’s healthier too! And the best part is that they’re super easy to make with this recipe at least. We had no idea how simple they were until we tried it ourselves. All you have to do is make the dough and fry it. And with just a saute and a puree, even the sauce is simple!
This Middle-Eastern favorite is a crowd please and is great as a finger food at parties, a side dish for family dinners, and as a quick lunch to bring to work. Easily dippable and customizable, we know this will be a new favorite in your kitchen!
Cauliflower Falafel With Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cup flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled)
Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 cloves garlic (pressed)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the sauce by adding all of the ingredients to a medium saucepan.
- Bring sauce to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce is finished, remove from heat and let cool.
- Puree sauce so that it is smooth and set aside.
- Chop cauliflower into florets and then puree cauliflower and garlic in a food processor for 90 seconds or until the mixture becomes grainy.
- Add pureed crumbs to a large bowl and combine with other falafel ingredients. Stir for 3 minutes until the mixture begins to form a thick paste.
- Heat half an inch of oil in a small saucepan (about 3/4 cup).
- Form falafel past into balls about 1 1/2 inch across and fry them in the hot oil. Each side should be cooked for about 5 minutes so that the edges begin to turn brown. If you flip the falafel balls too soon, they might fall apart or wind up undercooked.
- Once fully cooked, transfer fried falafel balls to a paper towel to soak up excess oil.
- Serve with spicy tomato sauce and enjoy!