For an absolutely rich, decadent dessert try something wonderfully fruity: red wine poached pears! This is a great, simple recipe that only takes some mixing, a little heat, and some time. this delightful, sexy, aromatic dessert will absolutely melt in your mouth and give you just the right hints of sweetness and tartness with a little acidity to keep you asking for more. Keep reading below for this amazing recipe…
Red Wine Poached Pears
- 6 firm pears, peeled, cored, and rubbed with fresh lemon
- 2 bottles red wine
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 4 sticks cinnamon
- 2 oranges, zested (zest cut into 1″ strips)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 10 cardamom pods
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine all the ingredients in a large pot over medium-high heat, adding water to cover the pears if necessary. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer and poach until the fruit is tender (about 45 minutes). Remove the fruit from the liquid and set aside.
- Strain the poaching liquid into a large pot and cook over high heat until reduced to about 1 to 1 1/2 cups. Drizzle the syrup over the pears. Serve immediately.
recipe adapted from Country Living