Coming home from a long day at work without having dinner prepped is sometimes like having to start your workday all over again. It's easier — and worth it in the long run — to take a few minutes in the morning to prep a tasty dish that's ready by the time you get home from work. Thankfully, you can have truly flavorful slow cooker Asian short ribs without a ton of hassle after a long day. This easy dish takes just 20 minutes to prep, cooks on its own in just 9 hours while you continue about your day (or 3-4 if you want it quickly), and pairs great when laid over a nice bed of hot, steamed rice. Enjoy!
Easy Asian Short Ribs
20 minutes prep; 4-9 hours inactive to prepare serves 8
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup Hoison sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 3 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- Combine the salt, pepper, five-spice powder and paprika in a small bowl. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the short ribs. In batches, brown ribs in oil. Set aside.
- Place the garlic, onion and carrot on the bottom of your slow cooker and set browned short ribs on top.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour over the short ribs and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 9 hours (or on high for 4). Serve topped with green onion and rice.
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker