When mornings are busy it feels awfully easy to grab a quick pastry or donut and call it breakfast. But what’s easiest is not always healthiest. That’s why we love breakfasts like this that can be made ahead and reheated throughout the week to take on-the-go.
This Zucchini Breakfast Casserole is so quick to mix up and it lends itself well to modification. It’s kind of like a crustless quiche, which means that as far as ingredients go it’s totally versatile. We like to add a little chili flake for the tiniest kick but if that’s not your thing you can leave it out, or even add some thyme instead. A little bit of ham or cooked bacon mixed in makes this a bit heartier, but all the protein from the eggs will keep you satisfied throughout the morning.
Any kind of summer squash works well here, so if you grew a bunch of yellow crooknecks over the summer, grate ’em up and throw ’em in. It’s nice to get some veggies in with your breakfast and they are packed into this little bake. It’s low carb and full of nutrients and we just love that it’s so easy! (And darn tasty, too.)
Zucchini Breakfast Casserole
Serves 4-6; 45 minutes
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 1/2 a medium onion, grated
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flake (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Place the grated zucchini in a kitchen towel or a few paper towels and gather it into a ball and squeeze the excess moisture out.
- Place zucchini in a medium bowl, and add the onion, sour cream, beaten eggs, garlic, salt and pepper, and chili flake, if using. Mix until well combined. Stir in 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Spoon mixture into prepared loaf pan and top with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake until firm and top is golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Enjoy!
Adapted from Kalyns Kitchen.