The solution for a busy evening.
Sometimes you just need a really good, easy to make, weeknight recipe that is going to be delicious and generally please the crowd. Instead of resorting to take out you can easily whip up this weeknight tortellini skillet in about 30 minutes and have a home cooked dinner instead.
The base for this recipe is a cream sauce made from cream cheese and mozzarella and flavored with garlic and a special ingredient- Montreal steak seasoning. I love using this spice blend in all kinds of dishes as it adds just the right flavor to many savory meals. It’s got paprika, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper in it which is ideal for so many dishes. You will want to add minimal salt after adding this seasoning but so far I’ve never made anything too salty with it.
The protein in this dish is ground beef which is just about the easiest meat to prepare. If you wanted you could use ground turkey or sausage, or even sliced Polish sausage instead.
To go with this sauce choose the tortellini you like best. I find that cheese or mushroom ones work well here without competing for the spotlight, but if you chose sage or squash tortellini it would also be great.
The final touch that really gives this dinner some eye appeal is to sprinkle chopped fresh chives on top – and it also adds even more flavor.
If you’re not sure what to make for dinner and want a change from the usual then this easy weeknight tortellini is calling your name. It’s so tasty you’ll certainly want to serve it with some bread to get every last bit of sauce off the plate!
Weeknight Tortellini Skillet
18m prep time
15m cook time
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (8 oz) package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon
- 1 (19 oz) package frozen cheese or mushroom tortellini
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped chives
- Heat olive oil in large skillet or medium stockpot over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and beef. Cook until onions are translucent and beef has browned, about 8-10 minutes. Add steak seasoning, garlic powder, water, and bouillon. Cook for 5 minutes or until water has been cooked off.
- While beef is cooking prepare tortellini to package directions and drain. Add to beef along with cream cheese and stir until melted. Add Italian cheese and cover. Allow to sit for 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with chives just before serving.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.