These burgers are absolutely delicious and like nothing else you’ve ever tasted! The texture and thickness of eggplant makes it a natural base for our burgers, and Halloumi, a salty, Cypriot cheese, matches the eggplant and seasoning wonderfully. If the weather’s nice you can make these outside, on the grill, but don’t let cooler temperatures stop you; you can also cook this right on the stovetop with the same, amazing results! We’re getting hungry just thinking about them!
Pesto Eggplant Burgers
- 1 large eggplant
- 4 oz. halloumi cheese
- 4 wholegrain burger buns
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 2/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- mayonnaise, optional
- Slice your eggplant into 1/2-inch slices at its widest part. Save narrow part of eggplant for another use.
- Slice halloumi into 1/4-inch slices and set aside.
- Heat your grill (outside or on the stove) to medium-high.
- In a bowl, whisk together 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix together and whisk in Italian seasoning.
- Dip your eggplant in sauce and place on grill, cooking for 6 minutes per side, or until eggplant is tender and cooked through.
- Once you’ve cooked eggplant, place halloumi slices on grill and cook each side for 1-2 minutes, or until charred grill marks appear and cheese is heated through.
- Combine basil, garlic, Parmesan, remaining lemon juice and salt in a food processor and pulse until semi-smooth. Then drizzle in remaining olive oil until pesto is your desired consistency.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon pesto unto bottom of wholegrain bun. Then add 1-2 slices of grilled eggplant and 1 slice halloumi. Top with second half of bun.
Optional: spread a dollop of mayonnaise on top bun.
- Repeat steps with remaining buns and serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Veggie BellySKM: below-content placeholder