Lasagna is a favorite at family dinners because nearly everyone loves it and it does feed a lot of people. Not only that but the presentation is quite fun as well. To make this staple dish even more exciting, there are few special ingredients in Trisha Yearwood’s lasagna.
To start with this recipe relies on a mixture of ground sausage and ground beef. You may have been using one or the other for your lasagnas, but together the flavor they create is really delicious. Once these two meats are browned in a pan then pour in a can of fire roasted tomatoes
To that you add pepperoni, as well as tomato paste, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, and 1 chopped onion. To make the sauce add 2 cups of water and cover. Then simmer for 30 minutes to meld the flavors and break down the tomatoes.
The three meats and the spices together really make this a stand out sauce.
After you’ve cooked and drained your lasagna noodles then it’s time to layer the lasagna in a 9×13″ baking dish. Layer the noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan and then repeat, making sure end the last layer with cheese. Not only does this lasagna have 3 meats, but it also has three cheeses. This gives tons of flavor and makes it a really hearty main dish.
After the lasagna is layered then you bake it for 40 minutes and allow it to cool for 15 minutes before serving. The top should be browned around the edges and all the cheese on top completely melted.
Serve this lasagna with a salad, a side of veggies, and/or some garlic bread and you’ve got a complete meal big enough to feed an entire posse of your hungriest cowboys.
Trisha Yearwood's Cowboy Lasagna
serves 10-12 Prep 35m Cook 1h 15m
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef chuck
- 1 lb breakfast sausage
- 1 lb sliced pepperoni
- 1 16-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 12-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/ 2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1 1-lb box lasagna noodles
- 1 1-lb tub ricotta cheese, divided
- 1 1-lb bag shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese, divided
- Add oil to deep-sided large skillet or pan and set heat to medium high. Brown ground beef and sausage together.
- Add pepperoni, tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, salt, pepper, garlic, red pepper flakes, onion, and water to pan. Reduce heat to low and simmer to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees ˚. Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions and drain.
- Spread sauce on bottom of a 9x13 baking pan or casserole dish. Layer noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan. Repeat process starting with sauce, then noodles, and ending with cheeses.
- Bake 40 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Recipe Diaries.