Bring out the taste of your favorite vegetables with this yummy and versatile casserole that combines zucchini, tomatoes, and mushrooms for either a hearty side dish or a terrific vegetarian entree. Throw in a little cheddar cheese to add some protein in the mix, and ensure a fresh dish by including veggies picked at the peak of ripeness from your own garden or local farmer’s market. It’s perfect to serve with a warm bowl of soup and some crunchy French bread on a cold fall day, or to pair with a fresh green salad and garlic bread for a delightful alfresco meal during the summer.
Tomato Zucchini Mushroom Casserole
- 4 zucchini
- 1/2 onion
- 3 tomatoes
- 15 mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons parsley
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 sprig fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel the onion. Slice the zucchini and mushrooms. Dice the onion and tomatoes.
- Layer half the vegetables in an 8-inch by 8-inch casserole or glass baking dish, mixing up the colors to create a festive look. Sprinkle the salt, garlic, basil, red pepper flakes and parsley over the veggies.
- Pour the olive oil over the veggies. Sprinkle half the cheddar cheese over the casserole as well.
- Layer the remaining vegetables. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Pull the casserole out of the oven, and sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the top. Bake for another 15 minutes or until veggies are tender. Serve hot. Garnish with sprigs of fresh basil, if desired.
Recipe adapted from The Real Deal Marin