If you have a hankering for something delicious and cheesy, try putting some of that fresh summer produce to good use with this super simple bake!
Not quite lasagna and not quite pizza, this mouth-watering hybrid puts to use all that fresh seasonal produce we’ve got ripening in our gardens – and it’s super fast to throw together! A total breeze to make on a weeknight when you’re pressed for time, this gem of a meal creates quite the buzz around the table and begs for its own regular spot on the dinner menu.
We’ve utilized those perfectly sweet tomatoes that were practically falling off the vine and begging to be eaten, and a few ripe and ready zucchinis that were hidden away in all that foliage. If you have a garden that’s bursting, feel free to add a layer or two to your bake! We kept it simple with this recipe and it turned out amazing! You’ll love the cheesy crunch of the parmesan and breadcrumbs that forms on the bottom. YUM!
Cheesy Tomato Zucchini Bake With Crispy Parmesan Crust
Serves 8-10; 40 minutes
- 7-8 roma or medium tomatoes, halved
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3-4 medium yellow zucchinis or summer squash, sliced into 1/2 inch thick rounds
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix 1/2 of olive oil (1 tablespoon), breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese until well combined.
- Add 1/2 of breadcrumb mixture to each loaf pan, creating an even layer over the bottom. Spread zucchini out over the top of breadcrumb mixture, (It’s ok if they overlap a little!) then add 1/2 of cheddar cheese to each pan (1 cup), creating an even layer over zucchini.
- In a heavy skillet, over medium-low heat, briefly sauté garlic in remaining olive oil (1 tablespoon) and add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until slightly soft, and remove from heat.
- Transfer 1/2 of tomato mixture to each pan and spread out over cheese. Sprinkle with rosemary and bake for 20-25 minutes, until cheese is slightly golden.
- Let cool 4-6 minutes and serve!
Recipe adapted from Epicurious