Tex-Mex has got to be one of the greatest cuisines in the U.S. In particular we love tacos, taco night, taco salad…anything taco-related really. So when we found this taco crescent roll ring recipe we knew it would be a winner.
Even though this isn’t the same as a taco bowl (also known as a deep fried wheat tortilla), the crescent rolls in this dish really do resemble those crispy, golden taco salad shells.
We were already big fans of crescent rolls before this recipe, but when rolled out into one layer and then baked this simple, everyday dough becomes delectably flaky and crunchy. It’s the perfect compliment to the filling made of ground beef spiced with taco seasoning, sautéd with onions and green peppers.
To make this dish start by browning your ground beef over medium-low heat along with your onions and peppers. Once browned add your taco seasoning and some water then stir until mixture begins to thicken.
Then unwrap 2 8-ounce cans of crescent rolls. Lay each piece of dough flat on a pizza pan or large baking sheet in a circle with the larger end of each triangle towards the center. Overlap each one slightly. Your creation will look sort of like a sunflower made of dough at this point.
Place a large spoonful of beef into each of the rolls. Top with cheese and then fold the narrow end of each crescent roll over the filling and tuck then point under the wide end. Repeat for each roll.
Bake for 18-22 minutes at 375˚F. Serve with your favorite taco fixins like sour cream, salsa, guacamole, lettuce, jalapeños, or hot sauce. For extra flair you can put these items in the center of your ring, too.
This is a show stopping way to fulfill your cravings for taco salad and it’s really not hard to make even though the finished result does looks pretty darn spectacular. We love a fresh take on taco night and this one does not disappoint.
Taco Crescent Roll Ring
25m prep time
32m cook time
- 1 lb ground Beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1 1-oz package taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 8-oz cans crescent dinner rolls
- Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Cook ground beef, onions, and pepper in large skillet over medium-low heat until browned.
- Add water and taco seasoning and cook until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Open both roll cans and unroll each roll until you are left with only flat triangles. Line a round pizza pan (or large baking sheet) with parchment paper. Place wide ends of dough triangles together side by side in a circle. Each triangle should overlap slightly.
- Add meat and veggie mixture in a circle in top of the dough along the inner ring, leaving only a small border of dough at the inside. Top beef with shredded cheese.
- Fold narrow point of each dough triangle over the filling, tucking the end under the center portion. Continue until each triangle is folded over.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes or until dough turns a light golden brown. Cut into slices and serve with your favorite toppings on the side or in the center of the ring.
Recipe adapted from My Heavenly Recipes.