I love a good summertime grill out as much as the next person, but I’ll admit that I crave hearty fall meals pretty much all year long. So, I figured why not have the best of both worlds? This Summer Vegetable Stew is just that – a filling stew that will warm you up and stick to your bones, but with all the flavors of summer.
If you’re craving fall meals with a summery twist, then this is definitely the recipe for you! Trust me, this is one meal the whole family will love.
Let’s take a closer look at what all goes into this stew. There are, of course, such staples as butter and garlic, because let’s be honest, what’s a meal without those key ingredients? But this stew lives up to its namesake with zucchini, tomatoes, corn, carrots, and potatoes. Add a splash of evaporated milk and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and you’ve got a winning recipe on your hands!
Start by melting butter in a large stockpot. Add in potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic. Let cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Next, pour in chicken stock and let the mixture simmer for about 15 minutes.
After the 15 minutes are up, stir in the rest of your veggies, along with the seasonings, and then let simmer an additional 10-15 minutes. Finally, you’ll add the thickening agents – evaporated milk and cornstarch – and let simmer for another few minutes. Top with fresh grated parmesan cheese and some sliced cherry tomatoes, and you’re good to go!
This is a deliciously filling meal, plus, it’s beautiful with all of the colors of the summer veggies, don’t you think?
Summer Vegetable Stew
Delicious, hearty stew with the fresh taste of summer veggies!
Serves 8-10; 15 minutes to prepare, 45 minutes cook time
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 1 14- oz can chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 1 14- oz can corn, not drained
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1/2 tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese for topping
- Diced cherry tomatoes for topping
- In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, potatoes, and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Stir in chicken broth. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, until potatoes and carrots are soft.
- Add zucchini, tomatoes, corn, and seasonings. Heat for another 10-15, until mixture begins to boil.
- Reduce heat and add all but 2 tablespoons of the evaporated milk. Mix remaining evaporated milk with cornstarch and stir until combined. Pour into the stew, stirring to mix. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Top with fresh diced cherry tomatoes & a little shredded Parmesan cheese.
Recipe adapted from Butter With a Side of Bread.