It’s finally starting to feel like spring around here and it has us excited for all the fruity desserts we’ll be whipping up in the coming months. Strawberries have always been one of my absolute favorite fruits, especially when I can snag a few pints at a local farm stand (nothing beats that fresh flavor). So when I came across the idea of a strawberry Upside Down Cake I was instantly sold. The ingredient list holds some unexpected choices, but have faith, it turns out divine!
I used fresh strawberries when making this recipe, but thawed frozen berries would also work when that’s all that’s available. The berries form the bottom layer of the dish (so they’ll be on top when flipped!) where they’re smashed into a jam-like consistency and then sprinkled with two boxes of jello powder. That’s right, just the dry powder, disregard the directions on the box. Next up is a layer of mini marshmallows (the unexpected ingredient we mentioned!), followed by the cake batter. Easy as that your Strawberry Upside Down Cake is ready for the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes or until it’s cooked through the center.
With its cheerful pink color, this cake is perfect for baby showers, birthdays, or backyard cookouts. Once flipped upside down, the beautiful strawberry layer is a real showstopper. Top it off with some whipped cream and no one will be able to resist going back for another slice. Give the recipe a try for your next special occasion and see for yourself.
Strawberry Upside Down Cake
15m prep time
45m cook time
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) strawberries, tops removed
- 2 (3 oz) boxes strawberry jello
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 (15.25 oz) strawberry cake mix + ingredients called for on box
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Add strawberries to prepared baking dish and mash into a jam-like consistency.
- Take both packages of jello and sprinkle the powder over the mashed strawberries, followed by the mini marshmallows on top of the jello.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix as instructed on package. Mix in vanilla extract and then pour the batter on top of the marshmallows.
- Bake for 43-45 minutes or until cooked through the center.
- Allow cake to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving. Flip slices upside down on serving plates so the strawberries are on top!
Recipe adapted from Julieseatsandtreats.com