Cinnamon rolls are wonderful, but sometimes you want something that’s fruity and creamy at the same time. These strawberry sweet rolls are just that. They’ve got a sweet filling and a tangy cream cheese icing on top that will tempt you like nothing else.
These rolls use both fresh strawberries and strawberry jam for an explosion of fruit flavor ribboned through each bite.
The dough for these rolls needs to rise twice. The texture once it’s baked is light and airy with a buttery flavor. Combined with the fruit filling it reminds me of a high end version of Entenmann’s danish. It’s more like a pastry or a brioche bun than a regular sweet roll.
While the rolls are still warm spread the luscious cream cheese frosting over the tops. This is a sweet, but not too sweet, frosting that’s got a slight tartness from a little lemon juice in the ingredients. This is one of my favorite frostings and it works on other pastries and sweets as well.
Speaking of versatility, I know that strawberry is a favorite for most folks. But, this recipe can be adapted for whatever fruits/jams you have on hand. This would be so tasty with raspberries and raspberry jam or how about a blueberry one? Or lemon curd with some fresh lemon zest mixed in. You can use this as the foundation for just about any type of fruity sweet roll.
The frosting would work with all of them because it’s not sickly sweet. So even if you don’t love strawberries, just know that you can do a lot with this recipe and other types of fruits and jams.
For a novel way to enjoy some sweet rolls this recipe takes the cake (pun intended).
Strawberry Sweet Rolls
Makes 12 rolls
2h 30m prep time
28m cook time
For the dough:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 (7g) packets dry instant yeast (1 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
For the Filling:
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1 cup strawberry jam
For the icing:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- juice of 1 lemon (2 tablespoons)
- Heat milk until warm in small saucepan or in microwave to 95˚F. Pour into mixing bowl and stir in granulated sugar and yeast. Set aside for 5-10 minutes or until bubbly.
- In large mixing bowl combine butter, eggs, and salt. Add yeast mixture and mix until uniform in color. Stir in flour and knead for 4 minutes. Cover and keep in warm place to rise for at least 1 hour. Place on stovetop with oven on lowest setting or use proofing setting and rise in oven.
- While dough is rising combine strawberries and jam in medium bowl. Stir until uniform in texture.
- Sprinkle flour onto work surface. Roll out dough in 12”x18” rectangle. Spread strawberry mixture all over dough. Roll from bottom of long side into log. Cut into 12 equal rolls. Place rolls cut-side down on greased 9”x12” baking pan.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour. When ready to bake preheat oven to 375˚F. Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Cover with foil if rolls brown too quickly.
- Use an electric mixer to combine cream cheese, butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, and lemon juice for icing. Spread over warm rolls and allow to set for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Recipes.