Baked oatmeal is a tasty, healthy way to start the day!
This Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal may look like a decadent dessert, but it’s actually a healthy breakfast you can make ahead of time and have on hand! Just because this dish is packed with healthy fats, fiber, and lean protein doesn’t mean it’s bland. Not by a long shot! With maple syrup, strawberries, bananas, and chocolate chips, this is one breakfast you’ll want to have over and over again.
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that you can make it ahead of time and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to bake it. Just get everything together and pour it into a baking dish, then pop it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
As you can see from the video above, there isn’t any granulated sugar, flour, or vegetable oil. It may be hard to believe that you can have a sweet, tasty breakfast casserole without any of those things, but this baked oatmeal will change your mind.
The sweetener used in this recipe is maple syrup, along with the handful of chocolate chips added. Instead of vegetable oil, this dish uses coconut oil, which is full of healthy fats. Flour is replaced by, you guessed it, oatmeal.
Start by preheating the oven to 375°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray, then set aside. Next, mix together oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add in milk, maple syrup, egg, coconut oil, vanilla, and mashed banana. Stir well to combine.
Gently fold in strawberries, banana slices, and chocolate chips. Carefully pour the oatmeal mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining strawberries, banana slices, and chocolate chips on top. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the middle of the bake is set.
Once done, let the baked oatmeal cool for a few minutes. You can add additional fruit, maple syrup, or milk, depending on your preferences. I personally think the baked oatmeal is sweet and moist enough to have on its own. Go ahead and check out the step-by-step recipe below!
Strawberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
Makes 6-8 servings
15m prep time
50m cook time
- 2 cups rolled old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas (1 mashed and 1 sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh quartered strawberries (divided)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (divided)
- Additional strawberries, bananas, and milk for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Mix together oats, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Add in milk, maple syrup, egg, coconut oil, vanilla, and mashed banana. Stir well to combine.
- Gently fold in 1 cup strawberries, 1/2 of the banana slices, and 1/8 cup of chocolate chips. Carefully pour oatmeal mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining strawberries, banana slices, and chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the middle of the bake is set. The top/edges will be golden.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before serving. Top with additional fresh strawberries, banana, and a splash of milk.
Recipe adapted from Eating Bird Food.